Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TO A POINT: Were you SIGHTED at the fair?





I haven't spent so much time at the Isanti County Fair since I was a girl (with the exception of last year). Whereas we used to live for five days at my dad's booth in the Curling Club building, this year I was all over the place.
It started on Tuesday, a day I didn't even know was busy at the fairgrounds. I was never in 4-H, but apparently all the members arrive the day before the fair officially starts to bring their exhibits for judging. This year I was asked to help judge the photography entries. Wow, there's a lot of talented kids out there! I left pretty impressed.
Wednesday night I arrived just for fun to spend the night at the Midway with two friends. Their boys ran from ride to ride, while we ate cheese curds and chatted. Despite being there just for me, I have to confess my camera was on my shoulder, ready to pop out whenever I saw a great shot.
I spent a couple two-hour stints at the Isanti County Historical Society booth. That woman hollering about the great deal we were offering – a t-shirt for $2 – yeah, that was me.
Friday was the day I was waiting for. The donkey races returned. Once again I competed in the celebrity heat. And just as it was the year before, the entire event was hilarious. It's the kind of roll-on-the-ground funny stuff you don't get often enough. The donkeys were just as cantankerous as the year before – actually, I think they were more. I know I could hardly lead my first donkey around the pen – and that was before I hopped on and the race started. My second pick was a big 'ole fat donkey. I could hardly jump up on it after it ducked me off. And the stomach was so big, I couldn't lock my feet together either. I tried to do as the organizer instructed me (he must have seen my look of panic halfway around as the donkey took off at a gallop) and lie down while holding on tight. But the donkey got the better of me and just leaned down. I went shooting over his head. Next thing I knew the donkey had decided it was the perfect time to dash around the arena, and I went sprinting after him. I caught up just before the finish line, jumped on and crossed the line – dead last, I'm pretty sure.
I sure didn't bring home the first-place trophy, but my six-year-old nephew told me I did a great job. He and my friend's six-year-old daughter still thought I was a winner. Aren't they the sweetest kids ever?
I took Saturday off, but showed back up at the fair on Sunday. Despite it being the last day, there was still a lot going on: talent show, car show, and the ATV pull/mud run. Plus, my husband and I once again were recruited to be salsa competition judges. Are we lucky or what? There wasn't a lot of heat on the fresh salsa side this year, with the recent pull of all jalapenos from the grocery shelves, but the salsa was still delicious. I was pretty impressed by the olive salsa – how creative! I loved the mixture of both black and green olives. Again, it was a pretty tough choice for us judges.
Being a journalist for the STAR, I was never without a camera while at the fair. See all the photos I and others snapped at the various events by browsing our online photo gallery. Go to mystarnewspaper.com, then head to the READ page. Click on the photo gallery button, and then start browsing to see if we SIGHTED you.
Photo galleries include: the donkey races, 4-H judging, car show, motocross, and demolition derby (there was a fire that shot flames up 30 feet in the air!). Another includes various shots of the fair, such as the Midway, booths, ATV pull, salsa contest, Kiddie Day events, animals, dunk tank and more.
We'd love to see your photos on our web site, as well. Go to the Interact tab and click Post Your Photos. It's easy.
See you online!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails