Thursday, February 26, 2009

TO A POINT: Leaving with 10 years of great memories

I've done a lot of cool things over the past 10 years here at the Star. As I leave to pursue other ventures, I'll take away the memories to treasure.
I'll never forget climbing to the top of the new aerial ladder truck in Rush City. What a view. And yeah, being up that high came with quite a rush.
Then there was the time I volunteered to check out the new non-lethal weapons obtained by the Isanti County Sheriff's Department. Former Commissioner Gene Wicht held one arm and Sheriff Mike Ammend the other as I was tased. I would have been on the ground in seconds without their support. It was an effective weapon. And they were right; it hurt.
Being a member of the Super Stars, the Star's Outhouse Race team, is one of my all-time highlights. Gosh, we had fun. I was on the team for three years – three glorious years. We never managed to beat the Isanti Redbirds (not surprisingly, they can run like the wind), but we did take home Best Outhouse and Best Costume every time we entered. Remember Charlie's Angels, the Dukes of Hazard and the Pirates of the Caribbean?
When the old Cambridge State Hospital buildings were torn down, I traipsed through them one last time. I was there when the time capsule was recovered from behind a stone in the front wall of the Boswell building. I trembled with excitement as Roger Wm. Anderson pried it open. I was among the first person since 1956 to touch the contents inside.
I've had the opportunity to meet countless politician and candidates with big dreams, folks like Governor Tim Pawlenty, Norm Coleman, and Representative James Oberstar.
I've loved the "perks" that came with this job: free tickets to local plays and concerts, VIP access at the rodeo, and behind-the-scenes access during events.
I've been there when ground has broken for numerous businesses, roads and neighborhoods. I've watched buildings burn down. I got there minutes after the old Gillespie Auto building had fallen down on Main Street in Cambridge. Dust was still thick in the street, and we were all amazed that a building that had stood for so long, nearly 100 years, had fallen in minutes, had fallen on Main Street.
I've enjoyed seeing the history of my hometown community firsthand. I've been proud to record it in word and picture. I've loved being "in the know" about everything.
And even more than that, I've enjoyed interviewing each and every person I've met over the last 10 years. I can't begin to list off all the names, but you know who you are. I've appreciated each and every one of you. I've tried my best to accurately tell your own stories. Some have made me laugh, others outraged me. Still others brought tears to my eyes and I found it hard to take notes. It is the people of a community that make up a community newspaper. Thank you for being my "sources", thank you for your tips, thank you for urging me to take action, and thank you for supporting your community newspaper.
Some say newspapers are going under. I don't believe that for a second. Although I'm leaving the Star, I intend to keep dipping my toes into journalism. You'll still find my byline in the Star's newest venture, Lifestyles magazine. I'll be writing for other entities, as well. I intend to continue teaching the next generation of writers at Anoka-Ramsey Community College – Cambridge Campus, where I've been an adjunct instructor the past three and one-half years. Who knows? I might finally get to that novel I've been meaning to write.
My biggest job will be raising my baby – who is due any day now. It's a task I'm really looking forward to.
And so, I bid you all farewell. I'll see you around.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You've done a lot!! Wow! Good work! I'm proud to know you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails